Updated: Oct 12
Firstly, who of our society constitutes GEN X? GEN X are people between the ages of 41 to 56 years old. They are the generation that shaped modern day working culture. The survey above suggests that they are least interested than their younger peers in working in a large tec organisation.
While the survey found that the majority of millennial workers are still motivated by their companies’ missions, a majority of Gen X workers said they are over it. Specifically, when asked if their company’s “mission and values are more motivating than they were pre-pandemic,” 56% of millennials said yes as did 47% of Gen Z. But just 38% of Gen X workers agreed with the statement.
According to Fast Company, Gen X is the generation that built the modern-day tech culture—those who believed that technology could change society for the better. But now 68% of Gen X tech workers say their work isn’t as important to them in achieving their life’s goals.
If you are a GEN X and is questioning your purpose, it can be a liberating experience once you understand what motivates you and brings you energy.
Self-development is a lifelong journey. There is no finish line. Here are some specific tips for Gen Xers who are interested in self-development:
· Be specific about your goals. What do you want to achieve? Once you know what you want, you can start to develop a plan to get there.
· Set realistic goals. Don't try to do too much too soon. Start with small, achievable goals and gradually work your way up to bigger goals.
· Be patient. Self-development takes time and effort. Don't get discouraged if you don't see results immediately. Just keep moving forward and you will eventually reach your goals.
· Find a support system. Having people who support your goals can make a big difference. Talk to your friends, family, or a therapist about your goals and ask for their help.
· Celebrate your successes. When you reach a goal, take some time to celebrate your success. This will help you stay motivated and keep moving forward.
DigiEra Learning (Pty) Ltd offers you, the Gen X, a free consultation to support you to decide on and manage your self-development journey. We offer tried and tested tools, frameworks and models to support you in your journey. Read more on the Integrative Enneagram, one of the tools that we use.
Cell: 082 804 6391